Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wicked Lovely, by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely is the first in a series about an interesting young woman named Aislynn and her unique ability to see faeries.  Her grandma has warned her time and time again about the dangers of faeries and Aislynn has had the chance to see for herself how cruel and dangerous they can be to one another.  Her only protection is that they don't know she can see them.  She does her best to stare through them and keep her expression even when she observes them injuring each other.  Aislynn just wants a normal life and when more and more faeries seem to take an interest in her, she knows she has to keep it a secret from her grandma or risk losing all her freedom.  She's almost positive that they've never caught her looking at them, but why would they suddenly start following her?  And why would they tolerate being around iron when it hurts them?  She thought iron could keep her safe, but now she knows that nothing can keep them away if they're determined enough, but she better find out why they're taking such huge risks to stalk her, before it's too late.  I would recommend Wicked Lovely to any fans of urban fantasy, paranormal, faeries, battles between good and evil, or YA in general.

Favorite things: Aislynn's strong personality, the great pace that got me to read this book in one sitting, the lead-in to the next book which wasn't a cliffhanger and still kept me intrigued, the plot that took on some characteristics of a fairy tale, the romance between Aislynn and her best friend Seth that felt realistic and not forced, the gorgeous cover and descriptive and flowing writing style of Melissa Marr.

Criticisms: the love triangle that developed was predictable and the behavior of the Summer King Keenan was rude which made him an unlikable character that seemed to have no redeeming qualities which only compounded my annoyance at the love triangle more.

Overall: 5 out of 5 stars!  This was recommended to me multiple times and I see why now, it was a great read and I've already started the next one.

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I love this book. The 2nd one is my favourite, though I don't think many other people share that view! I hope you enjoy it =]

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm listening to this book right now. Can't wait to see how it ends! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've considered this book... my own question being, what's the level of "adult content"? I've heard it's a bit intense at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rina, I didn't notice anything that seemed inappropriate and I usually take note of that sort of thing. Perhaps it gets that way in later books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fantastic read! I love that the characters and their relationships are believable. I love well developed characters and when they feel forced I have a hard time getting into a book.
    Bonnie @ HandsAndHome

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like an amazing book! I just bought it today. I love your blog! Thank you for following me, I returned the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! I really want to read this book. Need to order it ASAP. I keep hearing amazing things about it too.

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment! Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback. ♥