Monday, February 21, 2011

Zombies vs. Unicorns, by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier

This idea for this anthology came from an old internet argument about which fantastical creature was better and why.  I love silly internet arguments, I love unicorns and I love anthologies by different authors, so I was definitely in luck here.  Some stories are better than others, but each author took this idea and used their creativity to the fullest it seems.  I really appreciate the surprising perspectives some of them came up with too.  This is a great option if you want a wide variety of writing styles packed into one book.  I'm actually looking for another book similar to this for my NookColor since it was so enjoyable for me.  I read most of the stories in between other reads and I loved being able to take my mind in a completely different direction quickly before returning to a longer novel.

Favorite things: multiple authors, Cassandra Clare, Scott Westerfield, Meg Cabot, the humor, unique perspectives, unicorns.

Criticisms: too much sexual innuendo in one of the stories for my tastes, excessive vulgar language in that same story even though this is classified for YA, one of the stories was a little slow, one of the stories was a cliffhanger with no apparent followup and I hate that, zombies.

Overall: 4 out of 5 stars in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read and appreciate every comment! Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback. ♥