Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Demonglass (Hex Hall #2), by Rachel Hawkins

Demonglass is the second book in the Hex Hall series and you can read my review of the first one here.  The similarities to Harry Potter didn't end as the second book went along, so the people who didn't like that aspect of Hex Hall will continue to be disappointed.  I loved that aspect personally though, because I was sad the Harry Potter books were over and I hadn't found a book that filled my cravings since the final one was published a few years ago.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who felt the same way about J.K. Rowling's best series, because it helped me fill the void and I think other readers will feel the same.  In Demonglass the main character, Sophie, is introduced to her new home, Thorne Abbey, and is eager to leave the danger and drama of Hex Hall behind her.  Little does she know her new home has its own share of danger and drama too.  While she's at Thorne Abbey she is supposed to get to know the father she had never met before and there is certainly a lot to learn about him.  Things she thought she always knew are revealed to be wrong and Sophie has to learn how to be the person she really is, instead of the person she thought she was.  This was another quick read, but there were a few long passages of history and I felt they could've been worked in a bit more smoothly, because I did find my mind wandering a few times throughout Demonglass.  I really hoped this one was going to be worthy five stars and I was really excited to read it, but it didn't quite hit the mark.  The book ended in an enticing cliffhanger though and I can't wait for 2012 for the third book to be released so I can find out what happens next.  I would recommend this series to any fans of Harry Potter, fantasies, school-related fiction, magic or YA.

Favorite things:  the continuing similarities to Harry Potter, the beautiful descriptions of the gardens and the building at Thorne Abbey, the unexpected surprises, the overall storyline and the amazingly gorgeous covers for this series!

Criticisms:  there were a couple dull moments throughout and then I don't know what exactly is missing, but both this book and Hex Hall were lacking something that could've made them great.

Overall:  4 out of 5 stars.  I was really hoping this one was going to be great, but I'm still eager for the third to be released, because I am interested to know what's to come!

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Hex Hall and I can't wait to read Demonglass. I agree with you that they were good and I really liked them but something was missing that didn't make them amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by to comment Lisa and I'm sure once you read Demonglass you will feel the same, but you'll still be looking forward to the third one like I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was just wondering when the 3rd book is gonna sum out. Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A release date hasn't been posted yet, but this one was released in March and they usually come out after a year, so that's my prediction for the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I currently just read the book Demon Glass. It was amazing!!! But I'm sad to say the ending just un-explainable. I had mixed feelings. I recently heard that during next year March the third book will be coming out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. spell bound is coming out like march 2012 right?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, that's the estimated release date. :)

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment! Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback. ♥